The Three Horseshoes has been an Ale House, Court House and then a Public House. The Inn is mentioned in a local history book as being a tavern in 1841 run by a blacksmith called John Turnbill, his family continued to keep the inn until 1910, combining Inn-keeping with a Blacksmith shop which stood where the restaurant is now.
The blacksmiths shop was attached to the pub until the 1950s. One of our regulars, Edward Legge is pictured here on the right, in the middle row. He is the eldest of 17 children from a local farming family who still farms at our neighbouring Shortwood farm. He remembered helping his father bring horses to the Inn to be shod. Edward's job was to hold the horse's head while his father retired to the Bar for a quart of Ale!
We assume that the name The Three Horseshoes came from the fact that horses came here with only three shoes.
The image above shows Mr and Mrs Legge with 16 of their 17 children.
Mr and Mrs John Bayliss in 1913
The original landlord and landlady of the Three Horseshoes Inn.